#NDSUintern Spotlight: Anas Karuth

Major: Coating and Polymeric Materials – Company: Saint Gobain Research North America – Location of Internship: Northborough, MA – Internship Title: Research Co-Op

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • Saint Gobain is a world leader in developing innovative, high performance solutions through its expertise in different material platforms. The research center has 300+ research scientists working in different platforms like high performance materials, life science, reinforcement solution, and ceramics. I feel this is an excellent opportunity to be part of a collaborative research team within the center and interface with other transversal global R& D centers of Saint Gobain. The internship program conducted by saint Gobain has 30 student participants from different universities across the country. it was intriguing to know more about their research area and new technological advancement in the respective field. All put together I believe this experience will help me to gain real-world experience and enter the global workforce with a distinct advantage.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • It is a combination of both technical and professional skills. My job role requires knowledge about the bulk and interfacial properties of reinforcement materials. The technical skills acquired from my research lab at NDSU in data analysis, machine learning, modeling, and simulation are beneficial for my current projects. Equally soft skills like teamwork, agility, communication skills, and time management are important.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • To know how much science and technology goes to a product before its industrialization. I enjoyed the product development discussions with the manufacturing and marketing teams. it was intriguing to understand the exemplary product development and industrialization methodology of Saint Gobain.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • In the initial phase, it was challenging to assimilate with a bigger workforce and understanding the deliverables. later on, the objective and work methodology has become more clear. Better communication and product training helped me to tackle this obstacle.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through your own self-guided research
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    •  I believe this internship experience is a value – addition to my future goals.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • I would recommend students to experience the internship opportunity. It is an excellent opportunity to mold and kick start your career!

By Ashley Peifer
Ashley Peifer Events and Marketing Intern