#NDSUintern Spotlight: Tanner Johnson

Major: Mechanical Engineering – Company: Ardent Mills – Location of Internship: Martins Creek, Pennsylvania – Internship Title: Operations Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • Only offer I got, also my family is rooted in agriculture so it has been a perfect opportunity to explore the family industry.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Willingness to move, they gave me a list of 10 locations across the US where I could have served my internship at. Also, a willingness to learn.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • They don’t hold my hand, and I do something different every week. They trust me to keep myself busy. Also, the company culture and everyone I work with are cool and super nice.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • Getting things done, it takes a lot of time to finish projects especially when my time is split between doing those projects and shadowing different people around the mill. I work about 45 hour weeks, and I work hard. There’s just so much to learn in such little time.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • I am going to have to have a heavy course load for the remainder of my college career, any credit I can get out of the way ahead of time, I want to take advantage of.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • Put the work in during the fall, I met with about 15 companies during the fall career fair, received 3 call back interviews, and one job offer. I received and had to accept the offer for this summer internship during the fall career fair last year. A lot of the big companies fill their positions in the fall. It was also nice to have a plan in place for my summer way ahead of time.

By Ashley Peifer
Ashley Peifer Events and Marketing Intern