Major: Natural Resources Management
Company: Hickey Bros. Research, LLC
Location of Internship: Yellowstone National Park
Internship Title: Fisheries Technician
- Why did you choose the company that you work for?
- I chose this organization because of the restoration work that they are doing on Yellowstone Lake.
- What were some of the requirements for your internship?
- Responsibilities include deployment and retrieval of commercial fishing gear, removal of fish from nets, as well as identifying, sorting and measuring fish to collect and analyze data; day-to-day communication with partnering agencies. Crewmembers work together on daily maintenance and general upkeep of boats and gear. Work may occur during periods of inclement weather. Position requires ability to lift up to 75 pounds.
- What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
- My favorite part of my internship experience is that I get to work outdoors everyday.
- What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?
- The work environment is very fast paced so learning my responsibilities was difficult but through asking questions and watching others I was able to pick it up.
- How did you find your internship?
Through a personal connection (faculty, family, or friends)
- Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
- It was beneficial for me to register for credits through the internship program because it allows me to get credits for my summer job.
- What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
- Find the internship that suites you best and sign up. You won’t regret it.