#NDSUintern Spotlight: Emily Spilde

Major: Accounting

Company: Doosan Bobcat

Location of Internship: West Fargo, ND

Internship Title: Finance Co-op

Why did you choose the company that you work for?

• I chose Doosan Bobcat because of the great learning opportunity they presented. I am able to get hands-on experience in the accounting and finance field while still being able to take a normal college course load.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
  • Some requirements included having junior or senior standing, maintaining a 3.0 GPA, an understanding of Microsoft Office products, and being able to work independently. After meeting these requirements and getting the co-op position, I am able to assist in month-end procedures, assist on various projects, and create and maintain different monthly reports.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part of my co-op position is getting insight into what a finance department really looks like in a large corporation. My college courses have given me some great background knowledge, but being able to actually apply that in a business setting is a great experience.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • Being able to understand the companies terminology and different software programs have been the biggest obstacle. I have decided the best way to overcome these are to simply ask as many questions as needed. Especially as an intern, majority of employers will expect you to have lots of questions, so it is important to not be afraid to ask them to help you gain a better understanding of the business.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • It is very beneficial to register credits through the internship program because it can help you graduate quicker. This is my second 3 credit course I have registered through the Career and Advising Center, which has helped fill some free electives. Some employers will also reimburse you for internship credits, which gives you basically a free college course.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • I would recommend applying for every internship you find remotely interesting. Even if you do not get some of the ones you apply for, interviewing is such an important skill and you can only improve by practicing. Also I would recommend asking the employers what they have for opportunities after your internship as some can lead into full-time careers.

By Ashley Peifer
Ashley Peifer Events and Marketing Intern