#NDSUintern Spotlight: Teresa Wald

Major: Agriculture Economics

Company: Hometown Credit Union

Location of Internship: Kulm, ND

Internship Title: Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I knew Hometown Credit Union had developed a good reputation of helping people in tight situations around the area of where I live, so I knew I would be working with a good group of people during the summer.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • The requirements of my internship were very simple. They were to have an overview and some understanding of each position available at the credit union and how they all tie together. So I sat and did multiple things with many different people. I got to learn about telling, agricultural lending, mortgage lending, consumer lending, loan processing, real estate evaluations, credit committee, accounting, detecting fraud, auditing, and the CEO position of the credit union.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • I had many favorite parts about my internship at HCU. One of my favorite parts was interacting with members whether it was setting up a loan, helping them set up an account, or just having a conversation in general. But I also liked putting together a member’s financial statements and figuring where the numbers need to go in order to make a loan possible for the member especially if they were in a tight spot sometimes.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part of the internship was that there was lot of information thrown at me at each job position for the one or two days that I was with them. So I felt a little overwhelmed trying to process the details of what each person does at the credit union. However, I mentioned this to my supervisor and he reminded me that this internship is just an overview and if there was an area that I liked that they would like to have me back to fill it. I tried focusing more on the big picture of each job, but also still tried to pick up the little details as well.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • Search in your local area even if they are not looking for an internship, but also go to the career fairs and keep checking to see if there is a position that you might be interested in that you never thought you would be interested in.

By Ashley Peifer
Ashley Peifer Events and Marketing Intern