#NDSUintern Spotlight Blog

Intern: Bikesh Maharjan

Major: Computer Science

Company: Jack Henry and Associates Inc. (JHA)

Location of Internship: Louisville, KY

Internship Title: Software Engineer

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • JHA is employee focused organization which places employee as major focus in everything. That is what I have felt so far in the journey of working in this company. The value they find in the employees is very great and continuously try to improve employees by providing the skill sets that will help us grow and eventually provide more value in the work we do. This is one of the major reason that I was very excited to work in this company. Also the fact that the principle of JHA of “Doing the right thing, Doing whatever it takes and Have fun” resonates with that I feel made me choose this organization.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Previous working experience with AWS, Azure, AI, .Net, Agile/Scrum
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • The favorite part of my internship is the learning that’s involved in the process. I feel like I have learned a lot from lots of people. Not necessarily hard skills but soft skills that I find useful everywhere. Every week I go to the Code Jam sessions where every one does peer programming to practice Test Driven Development on some of the programming Kata or one some day’s just discuss about the tools and technologies that can be used to improve what is going on in multiple teams. Other than that JHA provides Jack Henry University (JHU) – an online platform for learning. There are tons and tons of learning playlist, useful links and articles to develop any skill set you want. JHU is also a platform to take part in online learning sessions hosted by expert in the field such as an Agile and SCRUM or Azure. There are many other areas from which one can learn here and that is what excites me now.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part of my internship so far for me was getting set up and ready to work. With the Covid-19 and everyone working from home, it took me few days to get all the access that I required. And my manager really stood up and helped me tackle these issues really quick by pushing this issue as a top priority.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through your own self-guided research
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • The major benefit for me is every step is clear for me on what I have to do to get enrolled, and what are the deliverable’s. So, this clarity was very benefitial.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • Spend some time looking for the job that best matches your career path, study the company and decide if that’s the company you see as a place that you can grow professionally and personally, and apply. And again repeat the process. You will get rejected, but that is okay. It happened with me. All you need is to wait for one company to reply you positively. Then work hard everyday until your interview to practice to show why they need you and you are the best option they have.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace