Intern: Victoria Erickson
Major: Accounting and Business Administration
Company: Doosan Bobcat
Location of Internship: West Fargo
Internship Title: Finance Co-op
- Why did you choose the company that you work for?
- I chose to apply for an internship with Doosan Bobcat because I had heard great things about the company from friends. After attending Meet the Firms last fall, I felt that it would be a great fit for me! It also worked well with my schedule because it was part-time during the school year and full-time in the summer!
- What were some of the requirements for your internship?
- For my internship, I had to have been working towards getting a degree in either accounting or finance. My daily duties typically involve making journal entries, researching transactions, and other miscellaneous projects.
- What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
- My favorite part about my internship with Doosan Bobcat has been being able to get real hands-on experience in accounting. It’s a great feeling, knowing that I am contributing and helping my team out when I do my duties. I am actively involved with projects, and am always learning something new!
- How do you plan to utilize the scholarship funds? (What are the ways in which the scholarship will most benefit you?
- I plan to put the scholarship funds that I have received towards my internship tuition fees. This scholarship allows me to worry less about financial burdens of college, and helps me focus more on my internship and academics!
- What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?
- The most challenging part of my internship is learning how to do something completely unfamiliar to me. I will occasionally receive tasks that require me to create a report, or research a specific transaction or file, and sometimes it can be a challenge knowing where to start. It took experience and a lot of practice to overcome this obstacle, but now that I have been working at Doosan Bobcat for six months, I usually can figure out most tasks on my own! If I can’t, I will just ask for help!
- How did you find your internship?
Meet the Firms
- Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
- I plan to take the CPA Exam once I graduate, and I need 150 credit hours to do so. Being able to obtain credits for my internship allows me to continue working while also getting closer to achieving my 150 credit hours.
- What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
- My best advice for students is to take advantage of NDSU’s many networking events! I attended Meet the Firms last fall which led to my internship now. I highly encourage those wanting an internship to attends these events because it’s important to make connections and gather information about the various companies! When applying for an internship, make sure to have multiple people proofread and review your resume and other interview materials. It also is helpful to go to the Career and Advising Center on campus and seek their help for creating/editing a resume.