#NDSUintern Scholarship Recipient Blog

Intern: Joshua Grosz

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Company: Smiths Medical

Location of Internship: Plymouth, MN

Internship Title: Engineering Intern, RND Sustainability

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I have wanted to help people from a very young age. Smiths Medical provides me with an opportunity to better the lives of people through my talents in engineering.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Most of what I do for my internship is assist in projects for the company that other engineers are working on. I have helped test tensile strength of parts, design parts (drawing or CADD), brainstorm solutions to issues, and write up reports.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part about my internship experience is that it gives me a perspective into the world of biomedical devices. There is a lot of requirements that the FDA puts on the biomed industry that I never really knew the whole scope of.
  • How do you plan to utilize the scholarship funds? (What are the ways in which the scholarship will most benefit you?
    • The scholarship funds go directly to covering my education. It is very helpful as every little bit of money that isn’t paid by loans or out of pocket will help me get on track faster after I graduate.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The hardest part of my internship currently is trying to remain confident in the face of so many complex things that I know nothing about. I struggle with confidence a lot and being forced into a new environment is very challenging for me. Each day is a step in the right direction to overcome the lack of confidence.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • It was beneficial because it gives me the opportunity to treat this job like a learning experience and bring that back to NDSU for the next academic year instead of having a disconnect between the working and academic worlds.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • I would say that you should apply everywhere and anywhere. Don’t be too picky and don’t be afraid to go outside your comfort zone. In order to take this internship, I had to move from Bismarck to Minneapolis. The difference between the two cities and states is massive and is extremely intimidating. If you don’t challenge yourself to go outside of your comfort zone, it will be much harder for you to overcome greater challenges later.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace Profile Picture