#NDSUintern Spotlight Blog

Intern: Rachel Jonasson

Major: Accounting

Company: Wipfli Accounting Firm

Location of Internship: Edina, Minnesota

Internship Title: Tax Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I knew I wanted to intern for Wipfli as soon as I left the office on the day of my interview. I had three total interviews with a total of 7 different Wipfli personnel. Each one of those individuals made me feel incredibly comfortable and really gave me a preview of the culture at the company. I was quite scared going into it but they shared laughs with me and really gave me a taste of the environment. That environment of professionalism that is filled with friendships, laughter, and wanting to help each other grow really stood out to me.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • My first half of my internship was in the Research and Development side of the company. I was able to assist the team in helping clients get tax credits for their research and development activities. My second half of my internship was in the Tax department. Through this, I was able to prepare tax returns for individuals, trusts, partnerships, and corporations. It was an amazing mix of different aspects of the accounting world.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part about my internship experience was how much I was able to learn. Interestingly, I had not taken a tax course prior to my tax internship. However, everyone at the firm helped me so much in continuously learning different aspects. I feel so much more confident and happy with my choice in major and future career plans after getting that real world experience.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part of my internship in my opinion was my shyness. I find it hard sometimes to stand up in front of others, voice my opinions, or ask questions. However, I am so thankful for the incredible team at Wipfli that helped me overcome all of these obstacles. Having a team that wants to help you grow is essential in developing as a professional.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • The recruiter at Wipfli reached out to me directly through Linked In.
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • As an accounting major, I am required to get credits from an internship.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • Put some serious effort into your Linked In! I never really paid much attention to it earlier in my college career. However, one day I really put some time into crafting it. Soon after, I received a message from a recruiter directly on the app asking me for an interview! Also, don’t be scared if you don’t feel prepared. I promise you they are expecting that.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace