#NDSUintern Spotlight Blog

Intern:  Megan Girard

Major:Industrial Engineering and Management (Minor in Management Communication)

Company: Unison Comfort Technologies

Location of Internship: Minneapolis, MN

Internship Title: Manufacturing Engineering Co-op

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I chose the organization because of the comfort that I felt after the interviews, presentations, and tour that I received when I was invited to visit. This company has a strong sense of their core values and it is clear that my coworkers have a desire to create not only the best product they can, but also the best culture and workplace they can.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Be enrolled in a 4 year engineering program.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • So far, my favorite part of this internship experience is that since my first week here, I have been treated as a member of the team and not just an intern. I have my own projects and responsibilities, I get the opportunity to not only sit in meetings but also participate in them, and the solutions that I present for problems are not dismissed because of my age and experience, but they are welcomed and embraced due to my fresh perspective and we have even implemented some!
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part of my internship has been resistance to change from some of the workers on the shop floor. A big part of my internship is project implementation and I have already seen some push back and have had to field some challenging view points. To overcome, I have worked hard to listen to their input and find a compromise so that they feel ownership of the projects as well and it helps them get more on board with the idea of change being a good thing.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • It was beneficial for me to register my Co-op because it prevents my student loans from kicking in and I still get some benefits of full time students such as
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • Be able to demonstrate your knowledge or experiences about what you choose to put on your resume. The employers first impression of you, should you receive an opportunity to interview, is how you can communicate what you put on paper to what you can actually do, so make it count.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace Profile Picture