#NDSUIntern Spotlight Blog

Intern: Mara LeFevre

Major:Business administration

Company: Senator Cramer/ US Senate

Location of Internship: Washington DC

Internship Title: Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I have a strong interest in policy and government. The opportunity to work for an admirable US senator excited me.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Many of my tasks include attending meetings, researching bills, and administrative work. I feel as though I am gaining insightful and useful experience that will benefit me in future endeavors.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite aspect of my internship is attending meetings with staffers and Senator Cramer. It is interesting to see the various lobbyist and advocacy groups from across the country and to learn about their organizations.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • In my opinion, the most challenging part of the internship is understanding bills and pieces of legislation. Many policies are very intricate and detailed, therefore, it can be difficult to fully understand the bill.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through my own self-guided research
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • I wanted to remain a full time NDSU student as well as receive credit for my internship. By receiving internship credit through the Internship Program, I can continue to gain credit towards my degree while completing my internship across the country.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • My advice would be to strive to step out of your comfort zone as much as possible. This internship has been a significant goal of mine, but it came with apprehension and fear. Leaving school and moving across the country to work for the federal government has been challenging, but also extremely rewarding. I have no regrets regarding taking my internship, and I am thankful I pushed myself out of my comfort zone to pursue my goal.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace