#NDSUintern Spotlight Blog

Intern: Tyler Blegen

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Company: Collins Aerospace

Location of Internship: Jamestown, ND

Internship Title: Design Engineer, Co-Op

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • The Aerospace industry has always drawn my interest, and Collins Aerospace seemed like a great local company that would allow me to pursue that interest.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • The two biggest requirements of my job were designing parts for future aircraft systems, as well as problem-solving issues that were discovered on our existing aircraft systems.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • The people I was surrounded by were fantastic, but my favorite part was being able to design parts that one day will hopefully be used in an aircraft. Having the ability to take an idea from my head and within a few months have that idea physically sitting in front of me is an amazing experience.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • Time management and multitasking were my biggest obstacles. I found myself often juggling upwards of a dozen projects simultaneously, and keeping everything straight between those projects proved to be a challenge.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • An internship is often times more valuable than any class could ever be, and getting credit for what you learn during that internship is important.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • Try not to fear rejection and keep an open mind, some opportunities that may seem lackluster at first can actually be extremely beneficial.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace