Meet the IP Team!

Want to know more about your Internship Program team here at NDSU? If so, read on! In a question-and-answer format, the team talks everything from crazy trips to China, the great work they do at NDSU, the instruments they play, and why internships are pure GOLD! You just might get to know us a little better!

ALLISON GOOSSENS

Hello! My name is Alli and I am the Assistant Director of the Internship Program here at NDSU. I have been in this role for 2 years and 1 month.

Tell us about your role in the Career and Advising Center

I, along with our team, work collaboratively with key stakeholders, including staff, faculty, employers, and alumni to ensure high quality internship opportunities and experiences are available for all students. We also work to increase the prominence and importance of experiential learning at NDSU, spreading our vision of a “career-everywhere” model across campus.

How has your past training helped you in your current role?

An UNPLANNED Rachel and Alli matching outfit day! Here we are in our awesome Career Center in Ceres Hall – too funny!

Before coming to higher education, I spent my time as a high school English teacher and varsity dance team coach. My teaching background instilled in me an innate desire to make meaningful connections with students. I really enjoy seeing students develop and expand their knowledge of themselves and the world around them. My role as a coach helped me enhance my skills for program development. I had the opportunity to create a reputable dance program that resulted in nearly quadrupling the participation of the program over 3 years. I learned the steps necessary to develop long-term and short-term goals, manage a budget, and handle all communications of the program as well as juggling the responsibilities of coaching! I carry all of these skills into my current role and value any opportunities that allow me to add new skills to my toolbox! I love to learn!

Favorite components of your position

I love the variety that comes with my position. I often get to chat with employers, connect with faculty, and engage with students all in one day!

Why is the CAC important?

The CAC offers so many services that are relevant to all students here at NDSU, no matter year in school or degree level. We have some of the most passionate staff on campus who are ready to help students AT ALL TIMES and are willing to meet students where they are at, to provide support to students for all things career and academic advising. I would suggest students to stop in during our drop-in hours to learn more about CAREERLINK!

Tell us about your dream job (other than the position you’re already in!)

Working with community development programs in some way.

What are you up to when you’re not serving in your role at NDSU?

In my time away from work, you can usually find me doing house renovations with my husband, spending time outside with our fur-child (a rescue pup named Stella), traveling across the Midwest (and beyond) visiting friends and family, or trying out the new restaurants in town.

Life experience story… Ready – Go!

During my sophomore year of college, I spent a semester abroad in Australia. I learned more about myself than I ever thought possible. The semester truly altered my perspective on life by teaching me value of being submersed in diverse cultures and the importance of being comfortable with the uncomfortable, for that is when the most growth happens.

Favorite Quote?

“Focus on the opportunities and the outcomes will take care of themselves”

Best advice you would tell your 15 year-old self

“Be confident in who you are and show compassion to all” – it’s always great to be reminded of those two pieces of advice 😊

EMMANUEL JINOR

Emmanuel is always thinking creatively about how to land students awesome internships!

My name is Emmanuel Jinor and I work at the Career and Advising Center (CAC) as the Internship Program Specialist. I’ve been working at the CAC since Fall of 2017.

Your position – what do you do?

My typical day involves helping students register their internships for class credits. This involves a lot of back-end administrative processes. I also help students find internships by giving them useful tips and resources. Other than assisting students find or register an internship/co-op for class credits, I also provide different types of reports to different departments on campus as well as to employers in the F/M area.

Education

My academic background is in HR and MIS which makes it easy for me to work with students of diverse backgrounds and also manage all the different systems I get to work with.

Teamwork makes the dream work! From left to right – meet Alli, Rachel, and Emmanuel. Come visit us any time – we will be in this building – Ceres Hall – on the 3rd floor!

What do you enjoy most about your job at NDSU?

Many years ago as an undergraduate student, I had a few friends who were straight A students but had a hard time finding a suitable job in their fields of study because they lacked real industry experience. I quickly realized how important it was to gain industry experience while obtaining a formal education. Some of my friends had to find internship after graduating which slowed down their career progression. As a result, I developed a passion of education students on the importance of doing an internship while in college. At my current position, I get to advocate for internships and help students get ahead of the curve and avoid the mistakes my friends made which helps me fulfill my passion.

A memorable life experience

Long story but I single-handedly helped stop a fight while on a vacation in China.

A quote you live by

“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” – 2 Corinthians 4:18

RACHEL GRACE

Hi! My name is Rachel and I serve as the Graduate Assistant (G.A.) for the Internship Program! I have been in this position (and with the Career and Advising Center) since August of 2019. Although it seems like much more than three months, I have learned about internships at NDSU and have thoroughly enjoyed working with my IP team and the entire staff in the CAC.

Your role in the CAC

In my G.A. role, I assist Alli and Emmanuel with internship-related students, events, and activities. Since our internship program is offered to ANY student across campus, there are more ins and outs versus if we were just serving one program, department, or college. With that being said, I LOVE so much to have the opportunity to become familiar with the university of NDSU as a whole.  I would recommend a G.A. for any graduate student; I have had such a great experience so far!

My latest, personal task has been to post blogs for the program and begin to put together a newsletter! If you are interested in topics internship-related (success of current and past interns, ideas for placements, notes from employers – and more!) be SURE to stay tuned for “Intern News!”

How has your education and past training helped you in your current role?

I have formal education in counseling as well as past positions in career centers at a couple of different universities. Also, I have experience teaching at the college level which has secured my pure desire and enthusiasm for working with college students. All of these roles have helped in my preparation for my current role with the internship program. The CAC is UNBELIEVABLY student focused so I feel right at home!

Amidst our latest “Intern Night” where we celebrated current and future interns! Check out our latest blog for the whole story!

Dream job?

Easy. Surf instructor!

What are you up to when you’re not serving in your for the Internship Program?

Most likely functioning as a student! I am working on my PhD in the Developmental Science program here at NDSU. So, I am pretty darn busy with coursework and research! I also teach an undergraduate class and serve and bartend on the weekends in the small town of Cold Spring, MN, where I live. Outside of work, I am probably at home playing the ukulele – while my small but wonderful family (two pups: Kona and Kea, and hubby: Garrick) keep me company!

Please share a memorable life experience

Last month, myself and three of my best friends decided to hike the tallest mountain in the continental United States! Mt. Whitney, in California, was quite the trip. We had a great time and learned a lot. If you’re up for a big challenge – I’d recommend it. 😊

Best advice you would tell your 15 year-old self?

If it moves you… chase it! (regardless of what anyone else thinks.) And (cue Bob Marley…) – Every little thing, is gonna be alright.

Favorite quote

I like to write poems, and this is one of my favorites that I definitely strive to live by: “Life is short and the world is wide – keep that smile and enjoy the ride.”

Thanks for reading! Come pay us a visit in Ceres Hall anytime! We have coffee ☕

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace Profile Picture