#NDSUintern Spotlight Blog

Intern: Sean Noel

Major: Manufacturing Engineering

Company: Doosan Bobcat

Location of Internship: Bismark, ND

Internship Title: Manufacturing Engineering Co-op

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • The main reason to chose Bobcat to gain experience in the Manufacturing industry. In North Dakota, Bobcat is one of the most known and successful Manufacturing companies and to have that experience on my resume will be important when looking for other jobs in the future. Another reason I chose Bobcat is the pay. Bobcat offered a great hourly rate that I could not turn down to start paying off my college expenses.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • There were a few requirements for the internship when applying. The first was a Junior/Senior standing that was pursuing a Bachelors in a Engineering degree, specifically in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Electrical Engineering. Next you needed a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Another requirement was previous knowledge with drafting software such as Creo or AutoCAD. The last big requirement was hands on experience with mechanical devices.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part of my internship has been successfully navigating different challenges on a daily basis while working with our team. Our team is in charge of setting up an assembly line for a new product which definitely keeps us on our toes.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part of coming into this internship was understanding everything that goes into the Manufacturing aspect of the job. I previously had an internship in the Civil Engineer my sophomore year before I switched my major as a Junior, so this was my first experience in Manufacturing Engineering. It took me about 2 months to fully get a grasp on my job which was a frustrating process, but my co-workers made it much easier and I am happy how everything has worked out and look forward to getting to do this every day once I graduate.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • For my major, having an internship does not count as a class or is required, so it was not needed to sign up for the credits. I still registered for the credits as it allowed me to stay as a full-time student and sign up for classes on time for when I go back in the Spring. Bobcat also offers a tuition reimbursement that covers the credits signed up for.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • My advice would be to try to work for as an intern for as many companies as possible when in college. This allows you to really know if your major you are working towards is the right one for you. If I never worked as a Civil Engineering intern, I would have never known that I am better suited in the Manufacturing field. It also is good to have several different experiences on your resume. Having that experience will put you ahead of others when trying to get hired full-time after graduating. The last piece of advice I would give is to be fully prepared when interviewing. Being fluent in your answers to questions, asking your own questions, and knowing what the company you are interviewing for is all about will help you set yourself apart from other candidates.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace