Intern: Hunter McMullen
Major: Finance and Sales Certificate
Company: Doosan Bobcat
Location of Internship:West Fargo, ND
Internship Title: Sales & Marketing Co-op
- Why did you choose the company that you work for?
- I chose to apply at Doosan Bobcat for several reasons. The first one, is simply due to the reputation they hold within the Fargo and surrounding areas. I have never heard anyone who has ever worked at Bobcat have any negative things to say about the company. And that’s something I wanted to be a part of. On top of that, I really wanted to get into an internship where I would be able to learn and work hands on with the team around me, and the culture at Bobcat couldn’t be a better fit for collaborating and idea sharing.
- What were some of the requirements for your internship?
- The requirements can vary on a day to day basis, which is what makes the co-op so exciting. Daily tasks can consist of accomplishing projects with staff in the sales & marketing teams. And extends to work in Microsoft excel and being able to present in a variety of settings.
- What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
- My favorite about my internship experience is without a doubt the people. The people I have been able to meet and work with at Bobcat are the best in their industry and have been so willing to help and teach me everything they know. Without support from supervisors and fellow co-ops I don’t believe this internship experience would be as valuable as it is, I truly feel I work with the best people from anywhere.
- What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?
- I’d say the most challenging part of my internship thus far, had been adapting to the office culture at Bobcat. I came from working on base with the Air National Guard and the environments are very different. Going from sitting in the same spot everyday, to now sitting in different places and interacting with new people every single day, took some getting used to. But now, I wouldn’t want it any other way and I believe the environment set forth at Bobcat couldn’t be better for idea sharing.
- How did you find your internship?
- Through a personal connection (faculty, family, or friends)
- Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
- The internship program was beneficial for me because it allows myself the opportunity to not only receive course credit, but also reflect on my internship. The internship program has challenged me to reflect on my day to day work, on the projects I’ve worked on, and the new processes that I’ve been able to learn. The program is awesome for growing on the internship experience, and helping the student realize how much we’re learning.
- What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
- My advice would be to not get discouraged if you get companies telling you no. I applied for several opportunities prior to receiving my position with Bobcat. And all the companies that told me no, I couldn’t be more grateful of because I know that I am now in the best place possible for myself. I couldn’t see myself interning anywhere else, and I think it’s important for students to continue to apply yourself, because there are so many great opportunities out there.