#NDSUintern Spotlight Blog

Intern: Tyler Fairchild

Major: Civil Engineering

Company: Edge Consulting Engineers

Location of Internship: Burnsville, MN

Internship Title: Structural-Design Engineering Co-Op

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I choose this organization because the training program they outlined for me was exactly what I was looking for. I have always had a passion for building things and the job title provided sounded like a good fit for me. The interview process was very professionally and straight forward, which was appealing. I also wanted an internship that gave me an opportunity to complete real life projects and feel like my work matters, so I liked the idea of working for a small company.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • This job required structural analysis to be completed and a basic understanding of CAD programs.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part of my internship experience is the opportunity to work with many different project managers. The staff at edge are all very educated and the opportunity to work with each of them has made me a more knowledgeable engineer.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part of my internship is dealing with the stress of this job. Every week each employee has a project tracker, which is just a list of all the projects you need to get done that week. On the project tracker the priority and deadline for the project will be listed as well. It is very important to meet deadlines, so in order to complete these you have to push yourself to work as efficient as possible. I have managed my stress by prioritizing jobs with high importance and the nearest deadline to make sure I do not submit any projects late. Also, communication is key to a productive work place. I have managed my stress by keeping the PMs up to date on what I have completed that day as well as who’s projects I am working on, so they know when to expect each job to be completed.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Linkedin
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • It was beneficial to receive credits for this Internship Program, because it allowed me to stay enrolled in the university.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • I would tell a student looking for an internship to be proactive. A good way to get involved is through clubs associated with the degree of interest. The connections made through face to face interactions can give you a jump on the other applicants. Also, creating a Linkedin can help you stay in touch with companies you are interested in and people you have met through varies clubs and organizations.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace