#NDSUintern Spotlight

Intern: M Subbir Parvej

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Company: Federal Machine Co.

Location of Internship: Fargo, ND

Internship Title: Mechanical Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • Federal Machine Co. is a Fargo based manufacturing workshop. It provides an intern with the opportunities to perform mechanical design, understand designs, CNC Machine Operation with Programming. These were the main reasons to choose Federal Machine Co.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Knowledge about CAD/CAM software and G & M Code for CNC with a solid sense of Geometry are necessary for the required tasks for my internship.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • Writing G and M codes for HAAS and GE platform of CNC machine and hands-on experiences of operation of CNC machine to make products were very interesting.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • Federal Machine Co. cares of their product quality very strictly. The most challenging part I faced was to maintain the tolerance of the products. So, many a time, I needed to redo a machined part for just being 0.1 mm shorter/longer than the specified size. Sometimes, I encounter some challenging parts as well. But the supervisor and other colleagues were very affable who assisted me to overcome the obstacles.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through a personal connection
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • Registering for credits through the Career and Advising Center helped me to earn some credits and reaching an academic milestone of accomplishing an internship successfully.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • I am thankful to NDSU Career and Advising Center for helping me to re-polish my resume, personal website and LinkedIn profile. So, before the quest for an internship, I shall highly recommend students to make a professional resume and reviewing it with the NDSU Career and Advising Center personnel. Besides, attending Career Fair is very beneficial to grow the network. To communicate with the employers effectively by expressing oneself properly in the career fair or anywhere else, events like ‘Pitch Perfect’ is very helpful to practice the elevator pitch. In addition to applying on LinkedIn, Glassdoor etc., contacting the hiring manager also increases chances. Finally, I would like to wish all the students a luck who are in search of an internship.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace