#NDSUintern Spotlight

Intern: Manisha Maharjan

Major: Electrical Engineering- Power Systems

Company: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Location of Internship: Richland, WA

Internship Title: PhD Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • PNNL works on the front-end on research and innovations for energy resiliency , security and flexibility.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Some of the requirements of my internship were to have knowledge on power distribution system modeling, including demand response and transactive energy systems and to be familiar with programming language like Python and MATLAB, and also distribution system simulator like Gridlab-D.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part of my internship is I get to work with the most innovative ideas in power distribution system and be responsible for implementing some of the tasks for the team.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part of my internship is to keep up with research pace of the lab, being involved in different projects. I am learning time allocation and prioritizing tasks to cope with the pace.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through a personal connection
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • Along with the internship, I can finish up my credits for my PhD program.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • Networking is the key. Let all your connections and faculty know that you are available and interested in internships or co-op.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace