#NDSUintern Spotlight Blog

Intern: Dylan Klein

Major: Management Information Systems

Company: Medica

Location of Internship: Minnetonka, MN

Internship Title: BI & Reporting Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I chose to work at Medica for two main reasons. First, the position aligned well with my career aspirations. In addition, the position presented an opportunity to really challenge my skill set in a professional work environment.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship? 
    • The main requirement for my position was having hands on experience writing Structured Query Language (SQL). My primary duties consisted of building out ad hoc reports and dashboards in Oracle Business Intelligence for various departments throughout the organization.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part about my internship experience was applying the key phases of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) to a Provider Termination report. It was challenging, yet rewarding to be able to gather requirements, develop, receive feedback, make modifications, test, coordinate user acceptance testing (UAT), and publish this report. Upon completion, this project successfully consolidated five reports to support a common function across business units and platforms. This allowed a cross functional team to seamlessly filter and access the data that they needed to perform tasks regarding provider termination.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • Given the complexity of the Health Care industry and Medica’s data environment, the most challenging part about my internship was learning the different claim metrics. I overcame the obstacle of data complexion by utilizing resources available to me and engaging in one-on-one meetings with BI Developers, Health Care Analysts, and Data architects.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through my own self-guided research.
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • Since the MIS program requires an internship, it was beneficial to register my internship for credits so that I could graduate.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • Engage with the Career and Advising Center to ensure that your interview skills and resume are well polished.

By Alli Goossens
Alli Goossens Assistant Director, Internship Program