#NDSUintern Spotlight

Justin Hanson
Major: Electrical Engineering
Company: Appareo Systems
Position: Product Engineer – Electrical Intern
Location: Fargo, ND

Why did you choose to work for Appareo Systems?

They are a growing company with intriguing products and technology, and they treat their employees very well.

How did you find your internship?

The Job fair and Appareo’s website.

What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?

Be only as confident as you are honest. Nothing is more obvious than someone who isn’t genuine!

What was an average day like for you on the job?

Start work early, and try to be there before most of my team. This shows your hustle and intent to both work and learn. I work on many different things, from Product Maintenance (both software and physical), Product Support (RMA processing) and Cost reduction. This fills my spare time between classes during the day!

What was the most rewarding part of your internship experience?

Real. World. Experience. There is nothing more helpful that a college student can do than get an internship in your field of study.

What was the most challenging part of your job? How did you overcome these obstacles?

Knowledge barriers. When you start an internship, there may be things you have to do that you have legitimately no experience doing. You have to learn quickly and learn well!

How has your internship shaped your ideas for your career? Has it changed your career path?

It solidified my interest in Electrical engineering and also opened my eyes to just how huge of a field it is. I had never considered product engineering before this internship, and it now sits in my top interests because of its fast pace.

Would you recommend having an internship?

YES! Absolutely and entirely recommended. Work experience in your field of study is more powerful and meaningful than most of the classes you will take over your degree. It shows you how the base knowledge you learn is REALLY applied in the real world.

Did your internship help you get a job after graduation? If so, how?

I am yet to graduate, but I do hope it leads to a job in one way or another!

By Emma Stupke
Emma Stupke Graduate Assistant