#NDSUintern Spotlight

Lauren Hopke
Major: AgEcon
Company: North Dakota Soybean Council
Position: Marketing and Communications Intern
Location: Fargo, ND

Why did you choose to work for the North Dakota Soybean Council?

I am passionate about the Ag industry. When I heard the NDSC was looking for an intern, I was excited to apply because I would be given the opportunity to work with both farmers and consumers. This played a huge role in my decision to work for the council. I was excited to able to work closely with farmers about ways to advance their farm as well as teaching consumer about making decisions about agriculture.

How did you find your internship?

Careerlink and referral from a friend

Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program?

It is beneficial to have real life experience added to my resume. Having my internship on my academic records adds a tangible validity to my experience

What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?

Be thoughtful and take time to work on your application, cover letter, and resume. This is a companies first impression of you, do your best to make a it good one!

What was an average day like for you on the job?

Each day is very different but most frequently I am given projects to work on. Some project for marketing, some communication, and others in research. Much of my work is promoting events for both farmers and consumers.

What was the most rewarding part of your internship experience?

Watching some of my largest projects come to life. I have loved to watch events that I have worked on for months come to fruition

What was the most challenging part of your job? How did you overcome these obstacles?

Understanding time and project management. I had never been in a professional work setting like this before, this came with trial and error and asking questions. This gave me the opportunity to learn how to overcome those challenges.

How has your internship shaped your ideas for your career? Has it changed your career path?

It has reassured my interest in marketing and communication with agriculture.

Would you recommend having an internship?

Yes, it is a great way to gain real life experience as well as giving you a chance to confirm your interest in the area in which you are studying.

Did your internship help you get a job after graduation? If so, how?

Yes, I discussed many of the skills I gained from my internship in my interview to convey my readiness for the workforce.

By Emma Stupke
Emma Stupke Graduate Assistant