NDSU Alumni Career Advice

Kay Hopkins
Degree: Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration, Master of  Business Administration
Position: Academic Advisor / Lecturer
Company: NDSU
Location: Fargo, ND

Why did you choose to work for NDSU?

I love this place! And, I had several influential mentors that pushed me to try something new.

What do you love most about NDSU?

Where else can you say that you get to work with the best and brightest people, who choose to be where they are?! There’s a real sense of family here.

Describe your job and responsibilities.

I have the privilege of assisting, advocating, and teaching undergraduate College of Business students how to successfully navigate through college. Every day looks different.

What skills are necessary for your position?

communication – both written and verbal
problem solving
teaching/training
planning/time management
learnability

What is the most challenging part of your job, and how do you overcome it?

Sometimes life happens, and it’s just tough to watch people have to change or adjust big plans or struggle through. It’s important to be a good listener in these situations. And, to make sure that people know they aren’t alone and to get them to resources that will help them. On my end, it’s important to find healthy ways to relieve stress and to aim for harmony (not balance) in my work and home roles as best I can.

What is an average work day like for you?

It really is very different every day. One thing I love about my job is that it is very autonomous. Most days are filled with student appointments, meetings with colleagues across campus, or preparing for or teaching class.

What advice do you have for someone aspiring to work in your field?

I wear a lot of hats, so I’d say it’s important to gain multiple – varied, yet detailed, experiences – each of mine has played an important part in my work.

What’s the best way to network with people in your field?

Get out and talk to people – there are events happening around campus all the time – attend.

What is one career-related tip you have for students?

Build mentorship relationships.

By Jamie Tait
Jamie Tait Events Assistant & Marketing Coordinator