Job Shadowing: A work experience option and an educational program where students learn about an occupation to see if it might be of interest or suitable to them by spending a day or part of a day with an experienced worker as they perform their targeted job.
Friday, March 6, 2019 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Job Shadowing at Employer Site
Thursday, March 5, 2019 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Meet and Greet in Memorial Union
Students will shadow an employer through the day to get an understanding of that particular company, what they do, what the culture is like, what kinds of diverse jobs exist in that organization, how that career works on a day-to-day basis, an opportunity to ask questions, consider a career path, get a glimpse of workplace realities… and so much more!
Join the NDSU Career and Advising Center, the NDSU Student Activities, and local employers for a free, one day job shadowing program that allows you to gain real world career experience while building networking opportunities.
Thank you to these participating employers:
If you are interested in being a future participating employer, please complete this form.
A variety of employers will be selected to participate in the program, ensuring that we have representation from various industries. Submission of form does not guarantee participation. After selections are made, we will ‘post’ the ‘job shadowing’ opportunity and select the students for you! Students will apply based on their curiosity and interests.
Why would a company participate?
- Assist with career development
- Share your professional expertise and knowledge
- Form connections and build relationships with current students
- Increase brand recognition on-campus and amongst students
- Create a pipeline for future opportunities in your organization
What is a company’s investment in participating in this program?
- Students will spend a full day with one or more of your employees
- Students will observe the day-to-day activities of one or more of your employees
- Time to showcase various job functions, specifically the ones that require a 4-year degree
- Lunch for the student on Friday, March 6th, 2020
- Attend meet’n’greet social the day before, Thursday, March 5th– 4 pm-5pm at the NDSU Memorial Union
What are some tips for participating employers?
- Match students with an NDSU alumnus (if possible)
- Employees discuss their field and skills required to perform the job
- Give them a tour of your organization and introduce them to some colleagues
- Create a welcoming environment